David Coleman Headley had his hand in plotting the 2008 Mumbai attacks. He claimed on Friday that he had hated India and Indians since childhood as his school had been bombed in December 1971 by Indian planes. The school was destroyed and people who worked there died. Headley said one of the reasons for him joining terror outfit LeT was to avenge the bombing. The 55-year-old, who has turned approver in the 26/11 attacks case, stated this during the third day of cross-examination by Abdul Wahab Khan, the lawyer of Abu Jundal, a alleged key plotter of the 2008 Mumbai siege, via video-link from the U.S.
David Headley told Mumbai court today that he wanted to inflict “maximum loss and damage” to India. During his interrogation, Headley made many revelations. Here are 11 big revelations that he made, as reported in The Hindu:
1. Pakistan Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani was his father’s friend and visited their house after his father’s death. He said, ‘The former Pakistan Prime Minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani, visited my house a few weeks after my father’s demise on December 26, 2008’
2. I have this hatred towards Indian since December 7, 1971. When Indian planes had bombed my school. The school was destroyed and many people who worked there died.
3. He also admitted that due to this hatred of his towards India, he wanted to cause “maximum loss and damage” here.
4. He Attempted to organize a fund-raising programme for Shiv Sena, even invited the party’s founder, late Bal Thackery, to the US. But had no plans to attack him there.
5. He was in touch with the then Shiv Sena Public Relations Officer Rajaram Rege whom he had earlier befriended in connection with the planned trip for late Bal Thackeray.
6. He had informed his friend Saulat Raza about his visits to Mumbai and his plan to attack the city.
7. Made donations of nearly Rs 70 lakh to the LeT till 2006, two years before the Mumbai attacks.
8. Shazia is still my legally wedded wife. Do not want to disclose her location at present. Don’t want to answer any question about my wife Shazia. I had told Shazia about my association with LeT. She knew that I was going to change my name from Dawood Gilani to David Coleman Headley.
9. Headley said that he had never disclosed about any women’s cell or about any women suicide bombers at LeT.”I never disclosed the name of Ishrat Jahan because I was never asked any question about it”, said Headley.
10. Headley said that he used counterfeit currency in Mumbai when he had been sent here for recce ahead of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks. Sajid Mir had informed Headley about the failed attempt to attack Mumbai in October 2008. He was in Lahore at that time.
11. His associate and Pakistani native Tahawwur Rana (who operated an immigration business in Chicago) was aware that he was an operative of the LeT.
David Coleman Headley was born as Dawood Sayed Gilani AKA brother of Sameera Sayyed in Washington, D.C. to Sayed Salim Gilani and Alice Serrill Headley. In 1960, shortly after Gilani was born, his family left the United States and settled in Lahore, the capital of the Pakistan. There, Gilani stood out because of his light skin color, he was often called a gora and because of the different coloration of his eyes. Gilani’s mother was unable to adapt to Pakistani culture and returned to the U.S. Because of Pakistani custody rules, she was forced to leave her children with their father in Lahore.