Born as Narendranath Datta on 12 January 1863, Swami Vivekananda was a chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Saint Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. Today marks the 154th birth anniversary of the great spiritual leader, Swami Vivekananda. Every year, this day is celebrated as “National Youth Day”. Swami Vivekananda has always been a very inspiring and influential person. Even, our Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi has always followed Vivekananda’s ideals and has often mentioned them in his speeches since the time he wasn’t the prime minister of country.
If one of his many speeches, he addressed the Americans as: “Sisters and Brothers of Americal..” for which he got standing ovation for almost 2 minutes, He delivered this speech at The Parliament of world’s religions in Chicago in the year 1893. It was in this speech that he introduced Hinduism at the world level. Vivekananda was also a key figure in introducing Vedanta and Yoga to the western world. He is also responsible for revival of the Hinduism in India.
Later on in his life, Swami ji established Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission each of which has millions of followers today.
Here are seven quotes from the great man that would surely influence you:
- “Talk to yourself Once in a day. Otherwise, you may miss meeting an Excellent person in this world.”
- “Learn Everything that is good from others, but bring it in, and in your own way absorb it; do not become others.”
- “We are what out thoughts have made us; so, take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.”
- “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, None can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.”
- “Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.”
- “The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong”
- “All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.”
Some People behave well, Some People inspire you, Some People provide unconditional help, Some People have amazing oratory skills. Not sure if this is just a co-incidence, but swami Vivekananda has all the above-mentioned Qualities. Do let us know your views on this great man in the comment section.