Doordarshan has commenced free TV service for Smart Phone in India. Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) of Doordarshan is currently offering the Free mobile TV services in 16 Indian cities including four metro cites such as Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Ranchi, Cuttack, Guwahati, Patna, Lucknow, Jalandhar, Raipur, Indore, Aurangabad, Bhopal, Bengaluru and Ahmedabad. Mobile TV can be received in and around these cities by using DVB-T2 dongles in OTG enabled smartphones and tablets.
Currently DD National, DD News, DD Bharati, DD Sports, DD Regional/DD Kisan are being relayed. Only one-time investment of dongle will be required by viewers and there will be no extra expenditure unlike streaming with internet. Users are required to download the software and plug these dongles in smartphones and tablets to receive DD signal.
— Doordarshan National (@DDNational) April 5, 2016
Some advantages of Doordarshan DTT Transmission are as below:
- Analog TV (ATV) is subject to interference, such as ghosting and snow, depending on the distance and geographical location of the TV receiving the signal.
- SDTV pictures are free from “ghosting” and “snowing”, which are commonly found in analogue TV pictures.
- Digital digital TV supports Standard Digital TV (SDTV) High Definition TV (HDTV) and Ultra High Definition TV (UHDTV).
- DTT secures greater plurality in Platform ownership, ensuring that no single platform owner is so powerful that they can exert undue influence on public opinion or political agendas.
- The DTT will provide signals for portable and mobile devices and also provide signals for Vehicles etc.
- The digital transition offers an opportunity to increase the production of local content. This in turn creates job opportunity and increase creativity and entrepreneurship.
- A strong DTT platform is critical to healthy competition in the TV market and to the realisation of a wide range of social benefits and most essentially an all weather reliable platform and unlike DTH there is no risk of catastrophic failure of total network. It provide alternative distribution platform.
- DTT creates the opportunity for convergence . Services like internet, LTE A+ overlay are feasible with DVB T2.
Broadcasting and telecommunications are in many countries treated as separate, vertical markets. But the digital technology creates the possibility of service convergence, infrastructure convergence, terminal and service provider convergence. The digital dividend at the UHF band has a potential to provide mobile internet broadband services to the rural and that will help greatly to fulfil one of the millennium development goals of bridging the digital divide.